Facebook Marketplace was introduced in 2016 with the intention to provide an easy, convenient way to buy and sell in your area. It allows you to look through local listings or search for items near you. One of the main benefits of using Facebook Marketplace is that you do not have to download another app or set up a new account to make local purchases.
Facebook uses Marketplace to bring shopping opportunities to users where they already are. In addition to posting items for sale, Facebook Marketplace can also be used for the following:
- Show a lot of inventory for retail items, home rentals and vehicles by working with a Marketplace listing partner. If you landscaping business sells trees and shrubs, you can use Facebook marketplace to advertise these specific products. This can lead buyers to your page where they can learn about additional services. You will know that these are qualified buyers with a high likelihood of making a purchase because they searched for the item(s) you carry and sell.
- Advertise your business or items on Marketplace to reach more people, even if your business does not post directly on Marketplace. If you are a service based business (plumber or electrician), you can not advertise your services directly on Facebook Marketplace. However, you can use the same Facebook ads you use in newsfeed in the Marketplace.
Marketplace is a platform similar to eBay or Craigslist. Marketplace’s advantage, however, is the existing user base of billions that Facebook has. Facebook Marketplace has over 800 million users monthly which makes it such an ideal platform for advertising. If you want to pursue a new avenue for your online ads at a cheaper price than other advertising platforms such as Google, keep reading to learn how to do so with Facebook Marketplace.
1. Create a Facebook Ad Campaign
- Marketplace is available as a placement option only for certain campaign objectives. The following campaign objectives allow Marketplace ad placement:
Reach Traffic Conversions Catalog Sales Video Views
- Head to Facebook Ads Manager and click Create. (If you have an existing Facebook ad campaign that uses one of these objectives, you can skip this step.)
- Select one of the applicable campaign objectives.
- Give your new campaign a name and click Continue.
- You will be directed to the Ad Set Creation page.
2. Choose the Marketplace Ad Placement
- Scroll down to the Placements section to check that Marketplace is available in your Facebook ad account.
- Facebook is default set to advertise on all placements. To find Marketplace, select Edit Placements.
It is important to note that Marketplace is currently available only as a mobile placement option. It is also currently not an option to advertise exclusively in Marketplace. In order to select Marketplace as a placement option, you must also have Facebook Feeds selected.
If you select automatic placements, it will include Marketplace. This means that several business advertisers may be advertising in Facebook Marketplace without knowing.
3. Design a Facebook Marketplace Ad
Marketplace uses the same recommended ad specs as news feed ads. Those recommended specs are:
Single images - 1,200 x 628 pixels Carousel images - 600 x 600 pixels
Though your Facebook ads will appear the same in both Marketplace and news feeds, they may still yield very different results due to the different context they’re placed in.
One of the main challenges you will need to overcome in any advertising campaign is grabbing your audience’s attention. Facebook Marketplace is dominated by static images so you may want to consider video advertisements to stand out above other ads. Studies show that video ads outperform static image ads on Facebook in general so you can expect to see an exaggerated version of those same results on Marketplace.
4. Analyze Marketplace Ad Placement Results
As with all advertising platforms, it is strongly recommended that you test Facebook Marketplace for your business. Though it is likely to deliver great results for certain businesses, it may not be exactly what your business needs.
You can see how Marketplace is performing in comparison to your other Facebook ad placements by filtering your ad reports. You can do this by selecting “Delivery” > “Placement” from the drop-down menu.
Additional benefits of using Marketplace for advertising include:
- impact brand marketing
- build trust
- reach more customers where they are actively shopping (buyer’s intent)
- extend or scale your ads with automatic placement
- Marketplace occupies the central tab on the mobile app’s menu bar
Consider your advertising objectives to determine if Marketplace is the right place for your ads. Do you want to raise awareness? Grow engagement? Boost conversions? The objective you choose will correspond with what you want visitors to do when they view your ads.
Facebook is an essential social media site for your business. With the large number of users, your presence there will help potential customers find you, become exited about your work and hire you. At trades.org we know that social media can be confusing and overwhelming. We can help you craft a profile that attracts your ideal customer and shows your skills. Let our team work for your team on social sites so you can spend your time doing what you do best.