If you are looking for a low-cost and effective way to market your business on a global scale, you should consider using Google Display Network (GDN).Google Display Network is one of the two networks that make up Google Ads. It is a powerful system that allows businesses to serve display ads via display text, image and video on major websites. GDN is the #1 global display ad network, reaching over 90% of internet users worldwide on over 2 million websites with more than a trillion impressions served to over 1 billion users every month.
How does it work?
Display ads are the visual banner ads that you usually see in the header or side bars of your favorite websites. While Google Search Network allows businesses to target users typing directly into Google’s search engine via specific keywords and phrases, the Google Display Network, on the other hand, is a more passive form of advertising as it targets users who are browsing the web with other intentions and are not actively searching for the products you offer. You have likely seen these ads while catching up on the news, reading blogs or watching funny cat videos.
Google Display Network allows businesses to set where or when an ad is shown based on features of their target audience, such as personal interests, gender and/or age. This will allow your ad to appear on sites related to your business, or to users who match the criteria that you have specified.
The following steps will get you started with setting up Google Display Network for your business:
- Log into your Google Ads account
- Click on “Campaigns,” and then “New Campaign”
- Select "Display Network only" as the campaign type
- Select your desired types of Google Display Network targeting
Interest targeting ensures that your ads will be shown to people who have interest in your products/services or engage in activities related to your business. GDN has three different categories of interest targeting that you can choose from:
- Affinity Audiences: This category consists of 80 different groups based on interests or hobbies. Examples include gamers, sports fans and music lovers. You can choose to display your ads to one or more of these audiences.
- Custom Affinity Audiences: In order to narrow your target, GDN lets you customize your audience based on keywords that you choose. When users visit websites that also have those keywords, they will see your ads displayed there.
- In-Market Audiences: This category allows you to target an audience that is actively seeking the products or services that your business offers. For example, if someone browses multiple home décor websites or adds a lamp to their shopping cart on a specific website, they will be more likely to see advertisements for home décor businesses.
In addition to targeting your audience based on interest, you can also target them based on demographic factors. The factors include:
- Age: "18-24," "25-34," "35-44," "45-54," "55-64," "65 or more" and "Unknown"
- Gender: "Female," "Male" and "Unknown"
- Parental status: "Parent," "Not a Parent" and "Unknown"
You can combine affinity audiences, in-market audiences and demographics to target a more specific audience. You can also choose to exclude groups from seeing your display ads. Keep in mind that the more specific your target audience is, the fewer people that will see your ads.
What are the benefits?
Benefits of using Google Display Network include:
- Brand awareness: Like any marketing strategy it does allow for brand awareness.
- Drive customer interest/intent: GDN can drive back consumer intent or interest in the product.
- Remarketing: Because GDN does have an integration with Google Analytics, you can track the behavior of users that have visited your site in order to essentially follow them with ads as they continue browsing the internet.
- Free impressions: GDN only requires you to pay for click-throughs on your ad. This means that the impressions and visibility that you gain from your ads are actually completely free.
- Flexibility: Unlike newspaper or billboard ads, you can change and update them easily and quickly. You also have the option of using various formats for your ads thanks to Google’s collaboration with other platforms such as YouTube.
Google Display Network will allow you to expand your marketing campaigns across the web reaching various audiences on all devices. GDN’S affordability and provided opportunity to separate yourself from a highly competitive playing field makes it a desirable marketing option. Regardless of whether your business is on a local or global scale, GDN is a great way to make the most out of every dollar spent.
trades.org has all the resources to help you grow your business. From website’s that attract customers to proven advertising strategies and customer retention programs. We help your business shine and ensure that you enjoy your work and personal life.